Thanks for the info....

Here's what I am doing (I got the xdoclet2 from the source ..trunk
version, compiled and hibernate plugin 1.0.4-SNAPSHOT)

a) I have the properties file in my build file as

   <property environment="env"/>
   <property file="myproperties.properties"/>

And here's the def for the hibernate

   <target name=" hibernate">

        <property name="xdoclet2.lib.dir"
value="${basedir}/lib/xdoclect2"/>
        <path id="xdoclet2.task.classpath">
          <fileset dir="${xdoclet2.lib.dir}" includes="**/*.jar"/>
        </path>

        <taskdef name="xdoclet2" classname="org.xdoclet.ant.XDocletTask"
classpathref="xdoclet2.task.classpath"/>

        <xdoclet2>
          <!-- defines the file handled by xdoclet2 -->
          <fileset dir="${java.src.dir}" includes="**/*.java"/>

            <!-- Register Expander -->
            <component
classname="org.xdoclet.tools.SystemQDoxPropertyExpander"/>
          <!-- defines the processing of a plugin -->
          <component
classname="org.xdoclet.plugin.hibernate.HibernateMappingPlugin"
                        destdir="${dest.dir}"
                        version="3.0"
                        multioutput="true"
                        encoding="UTF-8"/>
        </xdoclet2>

   </target>

It does not seem to work with the above setup. The assumption is that
SystemQDoxPropertyExpander  will get the properties as system properties
from myproperties.properties. However, it does not seem that the
properties from the file is getting loaded and accessible in
SystemQDoxPropertyExpander, even though I see the values by echoing in
the build.xml.

b) I tried  to use PropertiesQDoxPropertyExpander too with the following
setup

        <xdoclet2>
          <!-- defines the file handled by xdoclet2 -->
          <fileset dir="${java.src.dir}" includes="**/*.java"/>

            <!-- Register Expander -->
          <properties>
                <id>props</id>
            <file>myfile.properties</file>
          </properties>

          <component
classname="org.xdoclet.tools.PropertiesQDoxPropertyExpander"/>

          <!-- defines the processing of a plugin -->
          <component
classname="org.xdoclet.plugin.hibernate.HibernateMappingPlugin"
                        destdir="${dest.dir}"
                        version="3.0"
                        multioutput="true"
                        encoding="UTF-8"/>
        </xdoclet2>

With the above piece of config, ant flat out errors out with the
following (I am not too clear as to the function of the id tag)

C:\project\build.xml:312: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Properties
"id" cannot be null
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.IntrospectionHelper$Creator.create(IntrospectionHel
per.java:1197)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.handleChild(UnknownElement.java:547)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.handleChildren(UnknownElement.java:3
43)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.configure(UnknownElement.java:198)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.maybeConfigure(UnknownElement.java:1
60)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1329)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1298)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecut
or.java:41)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1181)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:199)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:257)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:104)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Properties "id" cannot be
null
        at
org.xdoclet.ant.XDocletTask.addProperties(XDocletTask.java:69)
        at
a:39)
        at
Impl.java:25)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.IntrospectionHelper$AddNestedCreator.istore(Introsp
ectionHelper.java:1327)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.IntrospectionHelper$AddNestedCreator.create(Introsp
ectionHelper.java:1311)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.IntrospectionHelper$Creator.create(IntrospectionHel
per.java:1176)
        ... 15 more
--- Nested Exception ---
[...]

Am I missing something here?