On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 18:46 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:

> >> The comment and the relevant code for 82a7dd3df needs fixing: all
> >> pipeline ports should expose 4 IPIs, named IPIPE_SERVICE_IPI[0-3].
> >> powerpc/SMP has one more up to 2.6.34, but IPI4 will disappear in
> >> 2.6.35. The upcoming arm/SMP port conforms to this requirement as well.
> >> Those are merely pipelined IPI channels, the way the arch-dep section
> >> manages to multiplex them (or not) over the available hw channel(s) is
> >> of course unspecified. The virtual IPI numbers are also unspecified.
> >
> > Actually, the more I think of it, the less I see the value of checking
> > the parameter passed to such an internal call like __ipipe_send_ipi().
> > There is no user interaction with this code. So removing the test is
> > indeed better.
> >

> Isn't ipipe_send_ipi() a public API? That's what I was thinking of: if
> at all, then here.

Yes, ipipe_send_ipi() is the public API, calliong into
__ipipe_send_ipi() for a per-arch implementation; I messed up in my
explanation. My point is that your idea to remove the check from
__ipipe_send_ipi seems correct to me, since nobody should send a silly
value to this internal call. The test should be done in ipipe_send_ipi()
once for all, relying on the generic names of the IPIs.

Regarding those names, and unlike I initially thought, ppc64 is still
preventing me from removing IPI4 in 2.6.35, so I guess that for
implementing a generic test, we would have to resort to #ifdef
pollution.

--
Philippe.