Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
"The latter" is what the TeXbok says (P.~39) : "Once a category code
has been attached to a character token, the attachment is permanent."

   Yes, because you meant individual tokens (which I understood in
retrospect).  But in the context of the discussion, you really seemed to
be saying that you could not change the \catcode's of characters to be
read, which was the point (not that there is much point left to the

No no : changing catodes on the fly is standard TeX programming;
what we should not contemplate is changing the /number/ of catcodes
on the fly ...

** Phil.