On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Peter Finderup Lund wrote:

>Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:08:44 +0100 (MET)
>From: Peter Finderup Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Vlado Potisk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [XFree86] [XFree86(TM) Bug Report] after few days: Caught
>    signal 11. Server aborting
>
>On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Vlado Potisk wrote:
>
>> > Maybe the question then becomes: what fonts do you have on your
>> > system?
>> I have an external font server, If you want to see any font list, please
>> write what command I have to run to produce it.
>
>_fs_load_glyphs() seems to be part of a module that communicates with a
>font server.
>
>/etc/X11/xfs/config
>/etc/X11/xfs/xfs.options
>
>the "Files" section of XF86Config
>
>perhaps the font alias lists are also useful (not sure -- I'm not an
>expert on any of this): ls -l /etc/X11/fonts/*
>
>Can you recompile the X server with debug symbols on (-g) to get a better
>backtrace ... or alternatively thru creative use of gdb correlate the
>address in _fs_load_glyphs() from the backtrace with a line number in
>xc/lib/font/fc/fserve.c ?

For Red Hat Linux users interested in debugging the X server, you
can grab the XFree86 src.rpm and install it, then edit the
XFree86.spec file and you'll find an RPM macro DebuggableBuild in
it which is set to 0 by default.  Change this to 1, and then find
the "Release:" line.  Add ".dbg" to the end of this field.  So if
it is "72" you would change it to "72.dbg" and then save the
file.  After that, do "rpmbuild -ba XFree86.spec" to rebuild the
XFree86 packages with full debug info enabled.  This of course
requires that you have a full development environment installed,
compilers, etc.

The build requires about 1.5Gb of free disk space altogether and
the resulting RPM packages consume about triple the size of their
non-debug counterparts.  Make sure you have plenty of free disk
space to do this.  Compile time varies depending on the
particular XFree86 RPM release that you're building, however
XFree86 4.2.0/4.2.1 RPM packages take about 40 minutes to build
on a dual 1Ghz Pentium III Xeon.  Your compile time will likely
be different.

To debug the X server, you need a special patched version of gdb
which is available from:

        ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/gdb-xfree86

The source code and patches are also there for users of other
distributions and OSs.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris