On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Jake Hawkes wrote:

> Redhat 7.3

> Video Card: ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL AGP 2X (from /proc/ioports)

> XFree86 -version:
> XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.0-8) / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 23 January 2002

> I dont currently have a mouse attached, and so the mouse device is set to /dev/null.
> I have tried
> the -allowMouseOpenFail but it didn't help.

> I start the XFree86 -xf86config ./XFree86.conf.new after running XFree86 -configure
>and all that
> happens is the screen goes black, and the keyboard stops responding.

> Ctl-Alt-Backspace doesn't do anything.  The caps light test fails as well.

> I have to kill the Xfree86 process with a kill -9.

> The machine continues to respond to the network (ie, the kernel is fine)

> To get the console back I must reboot.

> XFree86 -scanpci shows:
> (1:0:0) ATI card using a ATI Mach64 GM

> any ideas?

-allowMouseOpenFail contains the word "Open".  Ergo, /dev/null is likely
not an appropriate device to feed to XFree86's mouse code.  Instead, try
something that doesn't exist.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |