On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Steve Sobel wrote:

> Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> I am planning on buying a machine to install some flavor of linux (maybe
> red hat for simplicity's sake, but recommendations of better packages
> are welcome!) with XFree86, and hoping to be able to have multiple
> monitors, mice, and keyboards at once.
>
> I've read little blips via google searches, but I can't seem to find
> anything conclusive about whether this is possible.

If you mean independant users, Miguel Freitas has hacked XFree86
to for 2 users.
        http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/

If you want a cleaner solution with independent keyboards, I've
heard that the Linux 2.5 kernel supports more than one
Keyboard/screen/mouse for different VT consoles, giving a
multi-suer machine in console mode.
If you run
        XFree86 vtXX
then X will run on VT number XX, so with this kernel it should run on
whichever console you wish.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna