This will be fixed in 4.3. If you want a working driver for 4.2, go to www.winischhofer.net/linuxsisvga.shtml

Thomas

Philip Pawley wrote:
I've been a long time getting around to reporting this problem , sorry.

I'm having this display problem with several Linux distributions that include Xree86 version 4.2. I have not had the problem with earlier versions of XFree86.

THE PROBLEM
The whole screen has lots of 1px colored horizontal lines, that sometimes make it impossible to read the screen.
I enclose a screen-shot (though the problem is often much more severe than you see here).

WHEN IT OCCURS

NEVER IN:
RedHat 6.2
RedHat 7.2 (Xfree86 4.1.0)
Mandrake 8.2 when I choose the Xfree86 3.3.6 option

ALWAYS IN:
Mandrake 8.2 when I choose the Xfree86 4.2.0 option
RedHat 7.3 (Xfree86 4.2.0)
RedHat 8.0 (Xfree86 4.2.0)
RedHat beta 8.0.92 - Phoebe (XFree86 4.2.99)

In RedHat 7.3, the trouble only starts after the first boot. In RH 8.0 it's there in the installation GUI as well.

MY COMPUTER
My display is a SiS620 with a MAG D510 monitor
I have an Intel PII 350MHz processor
I have 280MB RAM (32+128+128-8)
As requested, I append the XFree86.0.log for RedHat 8.0.92 (Phoebe) This is the test version I currently have installed. (My working version is RedHat 7.2).

If you need further information about my set-up or would like me to do any further tests (including re-installing any of the OS versions), let me know.

I hope you find this helpful.

Please keep up the good work.

All the best,

Philip Pawley