On Monday, 27 Jan 2003, P.B.Prabhuram wrote:

> I am using a linux-from-scratch system, I downloaded
> all the
> sources for xf86 4.2.0
<snip>
> I configured the x system using xf86config, ( i have a
> nvidia riva tnt2 card and microsoft usb optical mouse
> ) but when i give the command startx, i get the
> following errors ( i have also attached the log file
> ):
>
> (WW) NV (0) : Failed to setup write combining range (
> 0xe4000000, 0x2000000)
>
> When i give the command "xf86cfg" :
> only a blank black screen appears.
>
> when i give the command "XFree86" :
> A hatched grey screen appears with a ( crossed ) mouse
> cursor that does not move
<snip>

I'm no guru, and I don't know much about the warning from the NV driver.
What about this mouse problem?

> XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 18 January 2002
>       If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your
> card is
>       newer than the above date, look for a newer version
> before
>       reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.19-16mdk i686 [ELF]
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==)
> default setting,
>          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II)
> informational,
>          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not
> implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Jan
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
> (==) ServerLayout "Simple Layout"
> (**) |-->Screen "Screen 1" (0)
> (**) |   |-->Monitor "My Monitor"
> (**) |   |-->Device "RIVA TNT2"
> (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse1"
<snip>
> (**) Option "Protocol" "IntelliMouse"
> (**) Mouse1: Protocol: "IntelliMouse"
> (**) Option "CorePointer"
> (**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
> (==) Mouse1: Buttons: 3
> (**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"
> (**) Mouse1: BaudRate: 1200
<snip>
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1"
> (type: MOUSE)

Searching through the archives of the XFree86 "Xpert" mailing list
( http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xfree-xpert&r=1&w=2 ) with a search
for "optical usb mouse", I found a few posts suggesting things like:

> Perhaps you should try the protocols: "ImPS/2" or "ExplorerPS/2" on
> "/dev/mouse"?

> The first one works fine with my M$ IntelliMouse Optical connected to the USB
> port (so the "PS/2" in the protocol name doesn't matter).  (Thomas Kalla)

Perhaps you would like to try this solution, or perform a search of
your own to see what you can find?

                                                         Jimmy.