Hi,
  Many people are reporting problems and bugs without giving
enough information.
  Personally I try to take the view "the user is always right", and so
this is what I propose.. :)

  *) I (or someone else) writes a quick program (or extension to "bug"
or "reportbug" or any other bug reporting program) that the user runs.
  *) Running this program is suggested when the server crashes.
  *) The program notes down all the relevant details.  X server, distro,
cpu, graphics card, copy of log, copy of config and credit card number.
  *) The program emails this to a server.  It shows it first
to the user, with an option to save it to file instead/as well as  so that
those without internet connection can put it on a floppy disk and email it
from elsewhere.
  *) The problem is compared against a crude knowledge base system
(fancy name for a database).
  *) Solutions are returned to the user automatically.
  *) The user is encouraged to reply, successful or not.
  *) If successful, then the database notes it.
  *) If not, the whole lot gets sent to a mailing list (possibly this one).
  *) When it is solved, the knowledge based system is updated.

I've been meaning to do something like this, but more generic.
 However the X mailing list tends to get a lot more repetive requests than
most, and also has emails with the least amount of information,
so seems the most needy IMHO.

  Thoughts?

  If I hear no comments then I'll get depressed and kill myself. :)

JohnFlux