>I get really bad display problems, as lines of text will seem
>to shift back and forth, right to left.  Alternating lines with shift in
>the opposite direction.  I have my HorizSync and VertRefresh set
>correctly. I have no idea why it is doing this, or even how to start
>diagnosing the problem.  I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Try set lower VertRefresh 56-72 - this is TV screen mode.
You should see nice stable blinking screen.
If with lower VertRefresh all runs, try parse /var/log/XFree86.0.log
which mode is wrong . Here You can see
(**) NVIDIA(0): Default mode "1024x768"  blah, blah blah

Try Ctrl-Alt-+ , find good mode.

Aivils Stoss