On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Roger Harden wrote:

>John Tapsell wrote:
> First, reboot.  Then boot by:
>  when you boot, pass the following option to the kernel:
>'init=/bin/bash"
>  So if you normally type "linux", do "linux init=/bin/bash"
>  There's probably a better way.   Perhaps  "linux single" works, or "linux
>safe".
>
>I am using GRUB as the boot loader and have tried adding the text "linux
>single" onto the end of the kernel
>line but this has no effect.  The system still loads, attempts to load the X
>windows system (as the /etc/inittab file
>is still set to id:5:initdefault I assume) and fails.  The system then
>starts looping between the text login screen and
>a blank screen with the keyboard disabled so that I cannot login to edit the
>inittab file.
>
>Help! Is there any way out apart from deleting the whole installation and
>starting again?

If you boot from CD-1 you can enter "rescue mode" by typing "linux
resuce" at the boot prompt.  (If you don't have a bootable-CD drive then
you can make a floppy rescue image and boot off that.  Instructions are
provided in the RH manuals).

With GRUB, you can press "e" to edit the entry that you boot from and
then append an "s" to the end of the kernel line and then boot from
that.  That'd get you into single user mode.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley