OK I eventually got the NVidia PCI TNT2 M64 card working!

I did it by defining the card as vesa vesa and manually
editing the config file with my desired resolution.

I am pleased to report it is working.

David

Compaq Proliant 5500
Quad Xeon 500Mhz
Twin redundant power supplies
Booting from Compaq Smart Raid configured to give 3 virtual
drives from 4x18.2G
JBOD SCSI 6x4G on seperate adaptec SCSI 2 PCI card
Fibre Channel Array 1.2T
Adaptec AHA 6944A/TX 4 port PCI 10/100
PS/2 port with Alps glidepoint
NVidia PCI TNT2 M64 32M Video card
Built in ATI Rage IIc (DISABLED) on standard peripheral
interface
On FreeBSD 4.7
On FreeBSD 5.0 I cannot even get a PS/2 mouse working for X
windows without a major system crash.