Keith Packard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> $B$5$s$O=q$-$^$7$?(B:
(B
(B> Around 16 o'clock on Feb 16, Jeremy Buhler wrote:
(B>
(B>> I can get fontconfig to do this for me, but the resulting non-antialiased
(B>> fonts are rendered noticeably worse by Xft than by the core X rendering
(B>> engine with the "freetype" module.
(B>
(B> The 4.2 version of "freetype" uses FreeType 1 which enables the TrueType
(B> byte code hinting engine which dramatically improves the quality of the
(B> resulting images.  Xft (and XFree86 4.3 "freetype") use FreeType 2 which
(B> disables this by default over patent concerns.  You can easily recompile
(B> Freetype2 to include the bytecode interpreter if US patents aren't a
(B> concern for you.  That should make Xft and "freetype" generate identical
(B> results.
(B>
(B> In your freetype source directory, look in include/freetype/config/ftoption.h
(B> for TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER
(B
(BDo you still think enabling the byte code interpreter is a good idea
(Beven with the improved auto hinter in Freetype 2.1.3?
(B
(B(see also http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/2.1.3-explained.html)
(B
(BFreetype 2.1.3 also seems to have a bug that when the byte code
(Binterpreter is enabled, Type1 fonts cannot be displayed anymore.
(B
(B(see also http://www.freetype.org/pipermail/devel/2003-February/008865.html)
(B
(BI guess this must be a bug, because the Type1 rendering probably
(Bshould have nothing to do with the byte code interpreter.
(B
(B--
(BMike Fabian   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
$B?gL2ITB-$O$$$$;E;v$NE($@!#(B