On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, William G. Lea wrote:

> I'm having some dificulties configuring X to run with a dual headed
> system based on ATI's Radion 9000.

So was I ... for months. To see how I finally got it working, see the
recent thread in this mailing list (www.xfree86.org seems to be down
at the moment, so I can't give you a direct reference).

[snip re RedHat - I use SuSE, but for these purposes I don't imagine
it makes any difference.]
> I went to the ATI site and got their driver files and executed
> them. They claim to install OK but when I run fglrxconfig X won't
> start.

The ATI drivers picked the wrong PCI device ID for me. But you won't
get dual head working with the current ones anyway (or at least, I
couldn't). What you need is the current CVS (or latest 4.3 preview
snapshot) of XFree86, plus a patch to fix some problems and add some
features on radeon, plus a magic line in the config file. Details are
in the previous thread I mentioned! Bear in mind that you don't get
accelerated 3D from the driver at present.

Perhaps I should package up my build in case anyone else wants to give
it a try. Is there a standard way to make a binary package from a CVS
source tree?

--
Bill Gallafent.