>   I really just sounds like something weird with the card.  I'll
>see if I can find one of those and try to reproduce.  If the behavior
>of the new DPMS support is questionable for older cards, I'll only
>enable it for newer ones.

My card is a fairly generic one, so it could be the card itself but I still
blame the monitor.  The thing that gets me is the input switch behavior - as I
mentioned, when I switch from the mode the monitor is put into to an unused
input, the monitor silently switches to full DPMS off mode, and when I switch
the input back to the DB15 connected to the card it does not switch OUT of
DPMS off mode.

>If you had an oscilloscope you could verify that hsync and vsync
>were indeed going off.

I have another Sony 21" CRT in the room I could try; I'll see if there's any
way I can get the monitor cable to reach as it's a bit too heavy to move around
easily.

>Maybe I could call vgaHWDPMSSet() from NVDPMSSet() and do both.

It smells of a hack, but I also wonder if it might make sense to keep
references to both routines and call vgaHWDPMSSet() strictly for dpms off mode
and NVDPMSSet for standby and suspend.

Regardless, I would hate to see you modifying general case code that seems to
work for the sake of compatibility with one card/monitor combo; it might be
easier to just note in the NVIDIA readme that if you have problems you can
modify the #ifdef in the nv_driver.c source...

                                        Thanks,
                                                William Kucharski