On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Nicolae Mihalache wrote:

> I have a dell poweredge 1400sc serer running SuSE Linux 8.0 (XFree
> 4.2.0), which has an onboard ATI rage XL videocard. I want to plug an
> extra PCI video card to be able to have a dual screen setup. I have an
> old S3 Virge which works just fine but unfortunately when I plug it into
> the computer the on-board card is "disabled". Now I'm not sure what this
> "disabled" means but the card still appears when running lspci, only
> that it says that some things are disabled:
> 00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL (rev 27)
> (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>          Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 00ce
>          Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 32
>          Memory at fc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)[disabled] [size=16M]
>          I/O ports at dc00 [disabled] [size=256]
>          Memory at fe101000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=4K]

> However I can reenable all these things with "setpci -s 0:e command=87"
> but after trying to start the X server, they are disabled again.
> I don't understad very well how these things work, but my guess is that
> the X server tries to access the card through the BIOS and the BIOS
> functions disable the card and return error. What I would like to do is
> to bypass the BIOS  and somehow access the card directly. I guess it
> should work, shouldn't it?
> A log can be seen here:
> http://www.abcpages.com/~mache/XFree86.1.0.log

> The first error that is reported is:
> (EE) ATI(1): Cannot read V_BIOS
> (WW) ATI(1): Unable to initialise int10 interface.

> What does this mean and how can I overcome it?

It means that the motherboard is not making the XL's BIOS available when
it is not the primary.  Unless the BIOS can be told to force the XL as the
primary, you are currently out of luck.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |