On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:

> keyboard and display seem completely locked, but I can still
> ssh into the machine from my laptop.
>
> At this point, my wm (fvwm), gdm and X are still running.
> However, X doesn't respond to TERM signals, and won't shut
> down normally. At this point, if I try to stop X with a KILL
> signal, the machine wedges hard: Nothing in the logs, corrupt
> file sytem, and a long boring fsck ahead.

Update: the freeze can occur on any level: But it doesn't seem to
occur on the first level I choose to play. I _can_ kill X with a
KILL signal, and shutdown -r will work cleanly: I just can't restart
X without a reboot first: If I do [ restart X ] the signal to the
monitor cuts out and it goes into standby mode, and the machine
becomes completely unresponsive.