On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Daniel wrote:

> The drivers from ATI didn't work (I'm not alone in experiencing how
> ineffectual they are!)
yes, I see constant posts re: radeons.  However, solutions seem to fly
around for them...mebbe becuz of popularity...

U should look up what xfree version is bundled with the linux
flavor/version u have, yes?

> 1) attempted to install the 4.2.X ATI drivers found
> athttp://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html?cboOS=Linux
> XFree86&cboProducts=RADEON+9000&eula=&choice=agree&cm
> however,  when I login as root and try:
> 2) $>rpm -i <name of file for x server 4.2.x>     : yields no ouptut, so
> do I assume everything is ok
>
> 3) $>rpm -q <name of file for x server 4.2.x>    :tells me the package
> is not installed
>
> 4) $>rpm -qpl <name of file for x server4 .2.x>  : yields no output
>
> 5) Also I also can't seem to find where "fglrxconfig" is meant to be
> installed let alone run it!

I had all of the above experiences also...for the SiS300 which is why I
looked into and downloaded the XFree86 4.3 version...

by fglrxconfig: did u type setup at bootup?  This gets you into the
Xconfigurator where u configure the software to run the right monitor and
card.

I will ask around my lab as there are a few people who have said they are
going with the Radeon (nvidia's are too $$$, but they (nvidia) do have
drivers that I have actually seen do work!) and see how they do this, if
they have similar probs...

I agree this seems so tangled...but I did get an email from the guru of
sis chips (an active xfree person I gather); encouraging, but have not had
a response after sending an outline of problem. Mebbe I do not explain the
problem well enuf, don't know...of course, if understood the problem well
enuf, could prob come up with solution, yes???  that or there is no
solution with my card (company offers NO support)!

Keep on pluggin...could be something really simple like case-sensitivity,
spelling error, putting file in incorrect directory...

best,
mgolter