Hi Guys,

[This message did not seem to make it the first time, so I am trying
again]

I have built XFree86 4.1.0 from all the source code and am trying to get
it installed and running on my machine (Red Hat 7.3). I have already
built and successfully installed XFree86 4.2.0, 4.2.1 and 4.3.0 as I am
installing all versions and using a script file and symlinks to switch
between them for compatibility testing purposes.

Anyway, XFree86 4.1.0 seems to build and install just fine, but the
loadable module system does not appear to be working. I got a very
similar error when I tried to get the loadable module I built on Red Hat
8.0 with the XFree86 4.1.0 sources to work in an existing 4.1.0 based
distro (TurboLinux 7.0). So I figured I could debug it once I got 4.1.0
installed and running on my Red Hat 7.3 test machine. However it seems
that all the modules are busted in my 4.1.0 build for some reason, as the

basic XFree86 server fails to load when loading libbitmap.a. I get the
errors show below from the server. What doesn't make sense is that the
'unresolved symbol' is completely blank!

It seems to me this must be some strange compile problem, but I don't
know how to fix it. I need the ability to build a module correctly for
XFree86 4.1.0, so perhaps the tools and compilers included with Red Hat
7.3 have problems with this version? I get the same problem building on
Red Hat 8.0 as well. Perhaps someone can suggest a different platform I
could try compiling on (I could try building on TurboLinux 7.0 since it
has XFree86 4.1.0 already installed).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

XFree86 Version 4.1.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 2 June 2001
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-3 i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 28 12:58:21 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) ServerLayout "Anaconda Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "SciTech SNAP Graphics"
(**) |   |-->Device "SciTech SNAP Graphics"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(**) FontPath set to "unix/:7100"
(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
(--) using VT number 7

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
Not loading .rodata.str1.1
Not loading .rodata.str1.32
Not loading .rodata.cst8
Not loading .rodata.str1.1
Not loading .rodata.str1.32
Not loading .rodata.str1.1
Not loading .rodata.cst8
Not loading .rodata.str1.1
Not loading .rodata.str1.32
Not loading .rodata.str1.1
(II) Symbol  from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a is
unresolved!
Symbol  from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a is
unresolved!
Symbol  from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a is
unresolved!
.... lots more of the same! ....
Symbol  from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a is
unresolved!

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~