It would help to help you if you would provide some information.  The
GUI is provided by the program XFree86 which uses a configuration file
usually called something like XF86Config.  If you could post that file
and the log file created by XFree86, it could provide a lot of
information about what your problem is.  Also, you could tell who
distributes your version of Linux and what version of the distribution
it is.  Some examples of distributaions are Red Hat 7.2 or 8.0, Mandrake
7.0 and so on.  Distributions are a clue as to where these files might
be found.  In Red Hat 8.0, they are found in /etc/X11/ and /var/log/,
respectively.