Michel Dänzer wrote (Thu 2003-Apr-03 18:50:59 +0200):

> > For me, disabling framebuffer usage helped to reduce the
> > frequency of crashes, i.e. make sure there is NO such entry:
> >
> >   Option  "UseFBDev" "true"
> >
> > in your XF86Config.
>
> The i810/830 driver doesn't support that option...

Hm, all right... :-)

> ... Did you switch from
> framebuffer device to VGA console instead?

No, that was the only (deliberate) change I made which seemed to
improve the behaviour. Might only be an impression though.

Something else I noticed is that the crashes seem to occur (more
often) if whatever is displayed under X is to be changed right
at the time I change to a text console.

This part of the error message:

  space: 102056 wanted 131064

  Fatal server error:
  lockup

makes me feel like the X display would like some more memory at
that point but doesn't get it. But I don't really know anything
about this...

Cheers, Marcus

--
   Marcus C. Gottwald  ·  http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/