I agree that it might be better to just use a later distribution of Red
Hat.  But if you have limited resources and want to try a few things,
there is a tool called xf86config that you run from the command line
that will ask you for information to create a new XF86Config file.  This
is what appears to be your problem.  If you don't know what that is, try
the manual pages, "man XF86Config".  You will need some information from
your monitor and video card.  You need at least the horizontal and
vertical frequencies of the monitor and the type and memory size of your
video card.  You should have a good idea of what resolution you want.  A
good guess would be 1024x768 at 24 bit color.

You might want to post what kind of card and monitor you have.