On 06/16/03 18:06 Josh Brooks spoke thusly

Hello,

I have purchased a new matrox p750. I have tried to make it work using:

driver=mga

and that does not work at all - I have only been successful in starting X
and working in X by using:

driver=vga

------

Now, tell me if I understand how all this works correctly.

First, the mga driver obviously just doesn't understand the new matrox
p750 (I get errors about "no devices present").  So that is why vga will
work, but "mga" will not.

Second, matrox has made a p750 linux driver available - it includes sample
xf86config lines and a linux kernel module, etc., to make it work - now I
am running on FreeBSD, so can I assume that in some amount of time,
someone will incorporate the functionality of the matrox p750 driver into
the _general_ mga driver, and when that happens I can then use the mga
driver under FreeBSD, using all of the special config lines shown on
matrox's site for Xfree ?

Or do I misunderstand how all of this works ?

I doubt you'll be able to use the special config lines for an xfree driver.
When there is an xfree driver, it'll probably work but not support all the features of the Matrox driver (like xfree did with nvidia).
Your best bet is to bug Matrox about getting BSD support in there closed source driver.

If I am correct, then I also wonder, has this procedure already started ?
Has someone already startd incorporating the new matrox p750 driver code
into the general mga driver ?

Thankd.

Oh, I thought p750 was Pentium 750 but you that is the name of a Matrox graphics card (p=Parhelia, maybe).
AFAIK, xfree does not support the new Matrox cards because of no specs (I think).
Eventually some xfree developer will reverse engineer it (like they did for nvidia cards?).

There is a closed source driver provided by Matrox.
Go to http://matrox.com and the tech support forum (http://matrox.com/mga/support/forum/agree.cfm).