Hi,xfree86,

   I am a Chinese student,and I am a beginner of Linux.I used to use RedHat Linux
8.0,but I have a problem now,I beg your help,Thank you every much !

   My trouble is that I can't login normally,but I can login text mode.The system will
tell me some message as "Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to
/var/gdm but this does not exist.Please correct gdm configuration
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and restart gdm".The message will appear in every few seconds.

   I noticed that when the system startup,something have wrong.One looks as this:
"Start Sm-client : can not chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueuel):Permission denied  Program
mode requires special privileges,e.g.,root or TrustedUser.[FAILED]"

   I also check the files by myself,I opened /var/gdm (/var/gdm looks like a
directory,but I can "vi /var/gdm").The  content is as below (6 lines):
"Press ? for keyboard shortcuts
"Sorted by name (.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj at end of list)
"=/var/gdm/
./
fonts.cache-1
:0.Xservers

   I think there is a file called :0.Xservers in the directory /var/gdm/ ,and the file
maybe as below(1 line):
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0

   At first I look for answer  in internet by google,I have tried changing the
attribute of /var/gdm ,but it failed still. later ,I want to use startx to get into
GUI ,I see some information  about your mail ,so I write to you to beg your
help.Please help me ,I also give you some files copy from my computer.  The files
include "/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf"、"etc/X11/gdm/factory-gdm.conf"、"/etc/X11/XF86config"
and  "/var/log/XFree86.0.log"

   Thanks a lot!!

        xscui
[EMAIL PROTECTED]