On 16 Jun 2003, Mike Russo wrote:
> > OK.  Then please figure out what errno is when xf86MapSbusMem()'s call to
> > mmap() fails.

> Using perror(), I found that both the "fb" and "x32" memory regions
> don't map privately, but they do map shared. The "xlut" region does not
> map as either private or shared, and in each case the mmap() error
> number is EACCES (#13), "permission denied". The Solaris 8 man page for
> mmap(2) mentions:

> The mmap() function will fail if:

>      EACCES
>            The fildes file  descriptor  is  not  open  for  read,
>            regardless  of  the protection specified, or fildes is
>            not open for write and PROT_WRITE was specified for  a
>            MAP_SHARED type mapping.

Well, the same file descriptor is being used for all three regions and it
is definitely being open()'ed for read & write, so I don't see why the
XLUT mmap() is the only one failing with EACCES.  However, it seems the
OS' device driver is imposing additional restrictions not documented in
the mmap() man page, given FB and X32 private mmap()'s are being nixed.
What do(es) the cg14 related man page(s) say?

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |