On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Maxime Labelle wrote:

> I was wondering if it is possible (and I know it is..) to hack the XFree86
> code to make the virtual screen follow the mouse's cursor as if the screen's
> window mouvement was linked to the centered cursor. By that I mean that if I
> move the cursor, the whole zoomed section of the screen moves with the
> cursor. Then if the cursor reach a certain percentage of the zoomed screen'
> width and height it stops being linked so it becomes possible to move the
> cursor freely again..

> The purpose of this is for a friend of mine who has 30% of his vision and is
> using UNIX. He needs his screen to be in very low resolution for him to see
> things clearly.

> I am just asking a evaluation of how hard and how long might it takes to do
> such a job onto the XFree86 source code. I will do such modifications myself
> but I was hoping for you to give me a hand to publish the code and expose it
> on xfree.org to promote and help people with vision problems..

Something like this shouldn't be too hard.

In xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Cursor.c in the sources,
you'll find the functions xf86InitViewport(), xf86PointerMoved() and
xf86SwitchMode().  These could be generalised to factor in a configurable
percentage of the physical resolution whose edges the pointer's
hot-spot needs to stay away from.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |