> Is XF86Config-4 sensitive to tabs, white space, ^M etc. We have a lot

  No, the parser just ignores these characters; but if identical
configuration files only differing on these characters have different
behaviour, there may be some subtle bug in the parser.

> of
> similar machines ( all using Nvidia) which we constantly change/rebuild
> the
> OS, monitors etc. Sometimes on two identical machines one will work with
> the
> XFconfigfile and the other won't. Seems that if the file is ftp'd  in
> bin or
> acsii will make a diff. Using vi with a :set list shows both tabs and
> white
> space. Is there a convention or????
> Tanks in advance

  Please send the logfile of the two computers when this happens. The
configuration file on both computers would also be useful.

Paulo