On Thursday, June 26, 2003 1:50 am, ved wrote:
> hello, recently my xfree started to behave strangely,

Did this happen in response to any configuration changes?  If not, it's likely
to be a hardware problem.  Then again, maybe it's a bug that's triggered by
the fact that you have one too many files in /tmp ... but I doubt it.

See if you can borrow another monitor.  If things clear up, your problem is
solved, assuming you have sufficient bling in your wallet to get a
replacement. :^)

> it randomly blacks
> out the monitor, to get it back on i have to chenge to the console with
> ctrl+alt+Fx, turn off the monitor and then turn it back on and finally get
> back to X with alt+f7. I tried lots of diferent configurations of modelines
> and resolutions but they all eventually black out the monitor. In another
> (maybe related) problem,  the right margin of my monitor gets progressivly
> "shrinken" i mean the contents on the aproximately 1cm of the right monitor
> border gets really narrow and it is when it's really narrow that the screen
> backs out.

It could be that your monitor's power supply is going out.  I've had this
happen to me twice before.

The first time was with a 13" CRT circa 1993.  It first exhibited strange
behavior not entirely unlike what you describe, and then it got flaky to the
point of unusability.

The second time was with a 17" CRT circa 1999.  It worked mostly alright, but
every hour or so a couple of scanlines would vertically jitter, as if it had
lost power for a millisecond.  One day, the horizontal suddenly and
completely failed, reducing the image to a very bright vertical line in the
center of my screen.  A quarter-second later, the vertical went too, and
within no time at all I lost the dot as well.  It now awaits proper
disposal...

> i am thinking that either my monitor is badly setup or the
> monitor is somehow damaged and creates this right side distortion and
> eventually blacking out. If i stop X and restart it, it stays fine but
> progressivaly the right monitor side starts do shrink until it blacks out
> again. I find this very odd and can't seem to find a cause.

If a change of monitor doesn't help, try using either VGA 640x480x4bpp or VGA
320x200x8bpp, whichever is more usable.  See if you get the same trouble.
But I seriously doubt you'll get this far.  If you do, though, try a
different graphics card.  I had an nVidia die on me some time ago, and while
I never lost the horizontal or vertical, the image turned to mud.

> My monitor is a rather rare Likom L5034LD and it's timmings according to
> the manual are:
> H: 30 ~ 69
> V: 50 ~ 104

It's a CRT, correct?  If you said it was a LCD I'd be stumped.  Tell me when
it was made.  Is it multisync?  It sounds like it, or else changing
resolutions (flipping between text and graphics) might not resuscitate it
(bring it back to life).  But I'm no expert.

> My preffered resolution for X is 1024x768 but i also use 640x480 when i
> play quake.

Do you get the same problem in either resolution?  Also, does this ever occur
with text mode?  By the way, what text mode do you use?  The default is
nearly universally 80x25 character cells with 9x16 dot boxes, so the
effective resolution is 720x400.  (I use 132x60 with 8x8, giving me
1056x480.)

> Thanks in advance and sorry for any bad english.

Your English is admirable.  I see and hear worse in my own household.

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
End communication.