Thomas wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> www.winischhofer.net (the obsolete modules pex5 + xie
had to

>I see you already found that page. How about actually
>_reading_ it?
>
>Thomas

Actually I did read it.  Very good stuff. There is quite a lot there
to digest.
- I know my kernel doesn't need the DRM patch
- I know you have newer modules and I'm not there yet
- You did say you didn't do DRM development
- Your other page notes DRI needs DRM which needs sisfb, so
I clearly need DRM if I ever want to attempt to get DRI working.
- I saw the notes re sis DRI and Mesa4 and users needing to
back off to Mesa3.
- It looks like your newer drivers will give higher resolutions on
my config

I've been somewhat sheltered from looking too closely at X
and video on linux in the past.  I'm less clear on whether DRM
has any use without DRI (although I recall you said something
about higher resolutions).  If not and I decide I can wait to try
and get DRI going, then I assume I could just omit loading the
drm module and the error would go away.

The higher resolutions are more important to me than DRI. My
main concern is that I've missed something and upgrading the
drivers won't correct it.

My suspicion is that I don't need DRM but I do need the new
drivers if reolution is all that matters now.

Would this be a correct understanding?

Thanks, David