Mark Vojkovich wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Tom Williams wrote:
Thanks... I just ran it and it listed 17 X clients.  How many clients is
"too" many?

   I believe the max is 256.  Something is wrong if you are getting
that message and only have 17 clients.

I haven't double checked the XFree86 code, but in other servers based off the X.org base, that message really means "new client fd number is greater than MAXCLIENTS", so other open file descriptors, such as shared memory segments for pixmaps can interfere as well. You might try running lsof to see how many files the X server has open. It looks like if you compile the XFree86 xc/programs/Xserver/os/connection.c with -DDEBUG it will report the value it is using for MaxClients.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         Sun Microsystems, Inc.     -     Sun Software Group