If you want to use the drivers that come with XFree86
you'll need to be using XFree86 4.3 and you'll want to use
the "nv" driver.  Otherwise, you can use NVIDIA's binary
Linux drivers available on the NVIDIA web site.  Those will
work with the XFree86 version you have now.

   Note, the error you are getting is because your font
server isn't running.  Starting "xfs", however, won't rememdy
that the card you have isn't supported in your old XFree86
server.

                        Mark.