On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Egbert Eich wrote:

> David Dawes writes:
>  > On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 07:05:29PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:

>  > >I have just checked the replies on the xfree86@ list.
>  > >Most of them contain just the [EMAIL PROTECTED] addresses.

>  > I can't speak for others, but most of my replies (including this one)
>  > are like that by design.

> Yes, I know. But this is not the point I was trying to make.

> If Joe Newuser has problems getting XFree86 to run he may send
> email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (After all it is advertised all over to
> do so), but he doesn't subscribe to the list (It says nowhere that he
> should).

If you attend a meeting and introduce a new agenda item, it behooves >you<
to remain at that meeting at least until the new item is discussed.  Not
doing so is just plain rude, and wastes everyone else's time.

Why do people think mailing lists are any different?

> One of us wants to anser him, hits 'group reply' and because of the
> But since the original author isn't subscribed he *doesn't* get the
> answer.

... because he didn't stick around long enough to hear it.  That's his
choice.

Remember:  you cannot help those who will not help themselves.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |