Hi,

I’d like to get some help to solve a problem I face every time I start the GUI.

Currently I have Red Hat Linux Rel.8.0. installed in a Dell Dimension 4500 Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz and 256 MB of RAM. The system has one hard drive for Windows XP and a second one dedicated to Linux. The Video card is NVDIA GeForce4 TI 64MB DDR and the monitor is a Dell 1900FP.

First of all, I’d like to mention that the system used to work just fine.

The problems began when accidentally I turned off the P.C. without shutting down the system properly. After that, every time I try to start the X Window system, it displays the following errors:

(EE) VESA(0): No matching modes

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:  no screens found

XIO: Fatal IO error I04 (Connection reset by peer) on X server “:0.0” after

0 requests (0 Known processed) with 0 events remaining.

After trying to reconfigure xfree86 without luck, I decided to format the hard disk and re-install Linux from the ground, but despite this action, the problem remains. Since I’m not an experienced Linux user, I have no idea about what to do.

Enclosed you’ll find the latest XFree86.0.log. file for your reference and of course, if you need further information, please, let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

- Oscar Lopez -