how about just work with a X or XFree86, if it is work, checking the scripe of startx.
Can you tell me how do you cut-down the XFree86 for the embedded system?

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Duss Pirmin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 9:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [XFree86] Xfree 3.3.6 in an embedded system

Hi all

Im trying to build an embedded Linux system with xfree 3.3.6.

The system is :

LynxEm+ graphics chip
486-clone CPU

Linux 2.4.18
busybox 0.60.2

I untaret the folowing packages :
Xbin.tgz
Xlib.tgz
Xcfg.tgz
Xprog.tgz
Xset.tgz
Xfnts.tgz
XSVGA.tgz
XVG16.tgz

I configured X with xf86config, because XF86Setup crashed.

If I start the X-Server with startx th folowing happens :
- an emty black screen is shown
- the X cursor is shown
- after about 3-4 sec. the X server exits with the Message
    "waiting for X server to shut down X connection to :0.0 broken
      (explicit kill or server shutdown"

A default SuSE-Linux 7.3 works on this hardware.

My questions now are :
   - what is not ok with my configuration
   - wich files could be deleted to save space
   - wich directories need to be writeable for X to run
      (the root-filesystem should be ro, only the var partion
       shold be wr)

best regards
Pirmin Duss