On Monday, July 14, 2003 10:07 pm, j y wrote:
> Thanks, Andy.  I got it working now. I found that using "chips" driver gave
> me a double-image problem, but using "vesa" solved it.

The chips driver is supposed to support hardware acceleration on the ct65548
using the "Basic Architecture", so if you can get it to work, the display
should be faster.

>From 4.3.0's README.chips, "This driver must be considered work in progress,
and those users wanting stability are encouraged to use the older XFree86
3.3.x versions."

You might consider trying 3.3.x.  I've had to do this myself for really old
cards salvaged from the junkheap in the attic at work.  The biggest advantage
of using 3.3.x or earlier is that it lets you know just how good 4.3.0 is.
Sort of like the time I accidentally switched on half-speed mode in ZSNES,
played for an hour, and then realized that it wasn't just the game. :^)

Or you can use 4.3.0 and selectively enable/disable features in an attempt to
isolate the problem(s) to aid in bug squashing.  This can be a lot of work,
though.  If you're not serious about development, don't bother.

If your display is already fast enough to suit you, leave things as they are.
You can only stand to break it...

In the past I got 3.3.x "chips" working with a ct65554, but that's a different
"engine", so my experience might not be helpful.  Besides, all I remember is
that I got lucky somehow. :^)

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
Engineers love to change things.