On Tuesday, July 15, 2003 1:08 am, Nickolay Kolev wrote:
> I have recently had to look into my X server log and found a few
> disturbing log messages. It seems like my video card is trying
> something it cannot do for a while before giving up. This does explain
> the small delay (and blinking) I thought was normal when switsching form
> console to X.

What log messages concern you?  The only thing I see that appears repeated is:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "320x175" (vrefresh out of range)
[...]
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (hsync out of range)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1152x864" (width too large for \
virtual size)

This is nothing to worry about, unless your hsync/vrefresh/etc values aren't
correct.  These are supposed to be autodetected, but since your monitor
doesn't appear to support DDC ("Failure reading EDID parameters") they might
be wrong, unless you got the values you list in Section "Monitor" from an
official source (manual or similar).  I'm not sure I believe your VertRefresh
range really is 75.0 - 75.0, so maybe you should look into the matter...

This won't cause flickering.  XFree86 doesn't actually try to set these modes.
All it does is perform a sanity check on all modes it knows about so that it
can never set your monitor into a potentially hazardous state.

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
Engineers love to change things.