On Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:58 am, Marek Kopec wrote:
> i'm trying to start x-terminal via etherboot and ltsp (x-klient 486 dx 66
> with tseng et 4000 w32p , x-server something better :) but i have some
> problem with xfree.
>
> (ww) tseng: no matching device section for instance (BusID PCI:65:21:0)

A 486DX/66MHz with PCI?  Well, the w32p was used on PCI cards, so it must be
so.  But I really don't trust that BusID...  What does lspci say?

I had a Tseng ET4000 (I think that's the chip name), but it caused hardware
lockups when too much changed on the screen at a time (I could reproduce this
with the BIOS menus), so I had to throw it in the garbage.  I managed to make
it work with XFree86 4.3.0, in a multihead configuration no less, but I only
got a valid display one time in ten or so, and it would immediately halt the
computer thereafter.  But hey, I pulled it from a computer whose motherboard
caught fire, so I couldn't really expect it to work right.  :^)

> I use xfree 4.1.0 (ltsp x core 3.0.4) and have tseng et 4000 w32p video
> card.

Can you take this opportunity to upgrade to 4.3.0?  Compiling X on a 66MHz,
is, to misquote Egbert Eich, "no fun."  If you can make the binary elsewhere,
you should be set.

4.2.0 made some "various updates" to the tseng driver
(http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/RELNOTES2.html#3), which you are probably in
need of.  It could be that upgrading will fix your problem, so go for it.
According to
http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/tseng/
, the latest change to tseng (aside from removing an #ifdef) predates 4.3.0
by several months, but you should get the latest anyhow since the underlying
PCI code, etc, has been updated.

Lastly, I have been considering making a couple cheapie dedicated X servers
for my house.  Will a 486DX2/50MHz work?  How about a 486SX/25MHz?
Overclocked to 33MHz?

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
Engineers love to change things.