As suggested by you, I have given driver = "vesa" in XF86Config file.

I am getting different error screen when I run startx and the cursor
also does not return back to command prompt ( Do I need to run any other
setup before running startx).

It actually looks like X started up fine, but one of the programs being run by startx is hanging instead of continuing. Try 'startx `which xterm`' (replace xterm with whatever terminal emulator you have installed) and see if that starts up fine.

If you have a custom ~/.xinitrc or such, make sure that all the programs in it except the window manager (or whatever you use) are started with '&' so that they're run in the background. For example,

xterm &
wmaker

instead of
xterm
wmaker

since the former will cause an xterm to start up and the script to not continue until that xterm is exited.

Craig Ringer