I have an old (1996) Micron monitor that I am trying to use with a Dell 2350 PC running Red Hat Linux 8.0.  The PC video card uses an Intel 82845G graphics chip.  In the Red Hat configuration, I accepted the default for the monitor:
    Horizontal    31.5 - 48.5 KHz
    Vertical        50-70 Hz
    800x600    16 bit color
The windows in Linux display correctly for the top 4" and the bottom.  From 4" to 5.2" it shows part of a line repeated several times, on top of itself; unintelligible.  If I move the cursor to the garbled portion, any live buttons display OK.
Micron (now MPC) does not have any info on this display (model #15FGx, part #MNN001004).
The display works OK with WinXP home.  WinXP uses 800x600, 32 bit color, 75 Hz refresh; don't know what frequencies.
I have tried different resolutions and refresh rates. These changes are either negligible or distort the display even worse.

How can I get this monitor to work with Linux?