I´m a newby so forgive me if I ask stupid questions.

"stupid" questions are hard to forgive, but questions stemming from a lack of knowlege are not a problem. I don't see any stupid questions :-)

I have debian woody with xfree86 version 4.1.0 and S3 Trio V64+ graphic card (765 Chip) on a Pentium I Board. Unfortunately, version 4.1.0 only supports savage and virge, which means I have either to upgrade to 4.3.0 or "downgrade" to 3.3.6 to get the s3 module. Which alternative would you prefer?

Using 3.3.6's XF86_S3 server is definitely the easy way to go. The server works great on 99% of hardware. You won't RENDER support, xrandr, etc but that shouldn't be a serious issue.

In other words, if you want AA fonts, hot resolution changes, etc you'll need XFree86 4.3, but if you don't care or rather sensibly think it's a bit too much fuss, then I suggest you stick with 3.3.6 . 99% of apps are happy with a v3.3.6 server (for that matter, 95% are happy with an ancient X server like that found on SCO OpenServer!).

However, is there any difference, since I just need the s3 module?

The v3 X servers are actually separate programs, one per driver. In practice it doesn't make much difference.

Usually, "apt-get install xserver-s3" and if needed "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-s3" will do the trick.

When I run the PreInstall-script of 3.3.6, what will happen if I have a newer glibc version than this script assumes? I mean "downgrading" makes me a bit suspicious.

The XFree86 3.3 binaries included in Debian 3.0 are built against the same glibc as the rest of the system, and it won't matter. If you're considering building your own XFree86 3.3.x then I suggest that you either use the one that comes in the distro, or upgrade to 4.3 if you want to build your own.

Craig Ringer