I am having exactly this problem with a Radeon 7500 card (OEM =
PowerColor) -- as an added complication it appears to be vary with the
digital monitor attached.

I can get output from XFree to the DVI port when a (borrowed) Sony XDM-72
monitor is attached, but not when my Apple Studio Display 17" LCD is
attached.

The Apple monitor works with the same hardware in Windows and with RH9 in
text mode.

I am also using the CVS ati and radeon drivers downloaded today. I have
spent much time trying various config files without success.

Unfortunately, I am too much a newbie to find the radeon_driver.c file to
make the suggested edit.

Where is it?

Any other suggestions?

Could the "MonitorLayout" option be relevant here if there is only a single
monitor attached and it is detected by DDC?

TIA

bob