I am using RedHat Linux #9 with an Asus P4P800 i865 800FSB and NVIDIA
GEFORCE-FX 128MB card and ViewSonic E90fb monitor. All is well during
install in text mode including opening page and non-text buttons and all
is well operating in text mode but monitor blacks out when I try to
'startx' and view meter screen shows small vertical and horiz numbers
and 'status' OVER message. (I have not yet determined what a viewmeter
does or is trying to tell me and I have no idea of how to access the
interactive 'viewmatch' within the viwsonic monitio system. I can't
adjust settings through 'Xconfigurator' as the screen goes black. Though
I chose the correct monitor and NVIDIA GEFORCE-FX (generic) settings in
original install the XF86Configuration file does not reflect those
choices.
I have not yet tried to change the file settings with vi - is this my
next step?
Anyone got any ideas? I am not a total newbie as I have been working for
over a year on various Beowulf system setups with Linux. But, I am not a
programmer or sys mgr yet -
(still in the role of sorcerer's apprentice at this time) My 'day job'
is 5th grade teacher.
Any help or directions towards help will be very much appreciated -
thanks

Jared R. Simmons

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>