Is there a way to invert _all_ colors displayed on an X server or at
least everything on the normal[1] X11 (minus special layers like OpenGL
and xv) display?

I could write a script that does bitwise inverts on everything in my
rgb.txt, but I'm sure enough apps/toolkits specify colors directly in
RGB values to make it pointless.  Images wouldn't be affected by the RGB
change, either.

Preferably, it would be possible to invert back-and-forth while the X
server is running, maybe through an app along the lines of xgamma.
I'd also prefer that it be done by the X server itself and not specific
to a certain video card driver.

If an existing method doesn't exist, could someone point me to where I
should look in the X source and make the necessary changes? Thanks.

Why I want this:

I use X apps from a variety of GUI toolkits, and would rather just
invert everything at the X server level than to configure them
individually.  There are also some colors hardcoded in apps; not to
mention annoying web designers who make the outlines of images white
since they assume everyone has a white background on their browser.

--
Eric Wong