On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 08:50, Berge, Harry ten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have an 'old' Motif application that needs to becomeUTF-8 aware for a
> Chinese customer. The question is how? Motif doesn't support UTF-8, so
> basically the advise that we already had was "go to use Qt or GTK, don't use
> Motif (anymore)".
>
> But is this the only alternative? Wouldn't it be possible to use Xf2 /
> Freetype from within our Motif application?

Not for menus, text entry boxes, etc. I'd really expect that if you
run in a UTF-8 locale, things might just work with your application.
(Well, as well as core X fonts ever work.)

And if you aren't running in a UTF-8 locale, things will be hopeless.
Motif and its dependencies are completely tied to the idea that
they are using the encoding of the locale.

A lot of old Motif apps (Acroread, Netscape 4) don't work well in
UTF-8 locales, but that's generally application bugs.

Regards,
                                                Owen