Hi there.

I'm running Gentoo 1.4 on a Dell latitude c840 which can take resolutions up
to 1600x1200. I quickly get tired if using that resolution in X and I wish
to lower it since my screen is only 15".  The problem is that if I choose
any other resolution than 1600x1200 my picture gets smaller. Like when you
reset the settings on your monitor. The width and height of the image
doesn't use the entire area of the screen, and suddenly I have the
1600x1200-like problem again but with a lower resolution. I wish to use the
entire screen. I have figured out that DisplaySize in /etc/X11/XF86Config is
supposed to set the size of the "monitor" in millimeters, but xfree doesn't
seem to use the value given on this line at all. So I'm wondering what I'm
doing wrong or if I'm entering non-valid values. Everything else modified in
this file is used by xfree and the logs tell me that this is the file that
is loaded.

Google doesn't seem to be my friend anymore and I can't find much
information about this on the xfree.org site or anywhere else. So I'm asking
for your divine help.

The driver I use is the latest "nv" for my 32MB Geforce4-Go emerged as
nvidia-kernel
The screen is a TFT 15" that can deliver [EMAIL PROTECTED] at 16,8 million
colours (UXGA).
The width of the screen is 304,1 mm and the height 228,1 mm.
My wm is the latest version of fluxbox emerged.

I copied a part of the /etc/X11/XF86Config below. Please tell me if you need
more.

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "My Monitor"
HorizSync 31.5 - 64.3
VertRefresh 50-90
DisplaySize 304 228
EndSection
# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************
Section "Device"
Identifier "Standard VGA"
VendorName "Unknown"
BoardName "Unknown"
Driver "nv"
EndSection
# Device configured by xf86config:
Section "Device"
Identifier "My Video Card"
Driver "nv"
# unsupported card
VideoRam 32768
# Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection
# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************