you should check having suffient modelines
and modes listed in your /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4) file.

other than that, /var/log/XFree86.0.log does show
your more details on which specific parameter a
single given modeline is failing. most often the
h-sync and v-sync ranges are inapropiate.

-Alex.

PS: your mail system is doing something screwed -
i hardly could read your appended text.