Hello,

I have installed the mandrake 9.1 on my Macintosh (Of course this
distribtion has a XFREE 4.3 environment).

But I have no # { [ | \ with my keyboard. In a tty console (CTL+ALT+F1),
I succeed to modify my keyboard configuration, But nothing with the X
Keyboard.

I try a lot of things (create my own rule, so no keyboard, CTL+ALT does
not work, ...), but it seems to difficult for me, without any tutorial.
I can access to the Xkeyboard protocol PDF file.

So today I have a keyboard, I can modify the mapping of the key 5 : ( +
5 to a + 5, but no braceleft char.

Questions
---------
a) Is there a tutorial to understand the rule file ?
b) Is there a tutorial to build a keyboard mapping ?
c) In my symbol file, there is "key => ( 5 braceleft braketleft". Why
can not obtain the braceleft char ? I kown (I see by typping) that the
first column is for normal char, the second column is for the shift
char. What for are the third and the fourth column ? In other word,
whare is the modifier order ?

When I solve my keyboard tty problem, I read a document that explain
each column. The keyboard mapping is an array the first char is for
normal char, the second for shift char, ... and if you want a char in
the last column, you can introduce voidsymbol for the useless column.
d) how to active the third and the fourth column for each char ?
e) Can I create new modifers ? (I try an xkbcomp does not like)
f) Is the order of modifiers fixed ?
g) My distribution has no xev ? Where can I found it ? (I want to check
if the modifiers are generated)
h) I read that there is some graphical interface for xmodmap ? Do you
know it ? Where can I find it ?
i) Is there a tutorial of xmodmap ?
j) Where are the x-doc.org files ? where is http://www.tsu.ru/~pascal/en/ ?

Notice :
Macintosh mouse is a single button, so F11 and F12 keys are used to
emulated a 3 button mouse. Perhaps this mechanism brakes the alt
modifier of my keyboard ? How can I chack this idea ?

Thanks
PHL.