Thanks for the help, Ryan. I note that you have a Wacom Tablet - just so
happens that I downloaded the HowTo on this the other day... so may be
in touch on this subject when it is next on the to-do list.

I seem now to have a stable XFree86 config file (no EE in the log) but I
obviously have to get my mind round the scripts you also kindly sent -
which at the moment are not properly understood by me - as I still have
no dual screen. I have a good idea of what is going on in the config
file but the scripts and what/how is still a mystery.  I guess that it
will be possible to insert the right syntax in a file somewhere so that
it is all automatic when I boot up (equivalent to an .ini file). More
reading

Currently have Gnome and KDE as window managers but glean that there are
better for dual screen. Any suggestions, please, anyone?

Also Anyone know where I can learn about the XF86config options etc.
syntax?