Dear XFree Experts:

I have recently upgraded one of my LINUX machines to XFree86 version 4.3.0
because I got a new video card, ATI Radeon All-in-Wonder 7500.  This
new version makes it work well with one exception, the power save mode for
the monitor.  By this what I mean is that one can control the power of the
monitor due to inactivity after certain timeout periods.  This is usually
controlled by the "xset dpms #1 #2 #3" command, where #1 is the standby time,
#2 is the suspend time and #3 is the off time.  Unfortunately, I can not
figure out how to make xset work in ver 4.3.0.  I am guessing that there may
be some setting that I did not need to have previously or was already set.

This system is a Compaq running LINUX kernel 2.4.13 with KDE 2.2.  When the
system boots it automatically boots to mode 5 (graphics) and gives you a
login console.  Oddly enough, at the login console, the power save mode
does work.  After about 10 min the monitor turns off.  However, if anyone
logs into the console, power save no longer works whether one sets the
power save mode in the KDE Control Panel or if anyone (incl root) issues
a command like xset dpms 120 240 360.

I know that the monitor can be put into power save mode because it
does so at the "login console" in LINUX and it works fine in Win2k
(a dual boot machine).

I have 2 questions.  1) Is this a bug or have I missed some settings?
and 2) where are the settings that put the monitor into power save mode
while in the login console window?

Thanks for your help.

--
#########              David N. Haney, Ph.D.                 #########
#  Haney Associates                            Phone - 858-483-1197  #