without seeing your log file, I'd guess it's the common intel i8xx bug.
Dell are dragging their heels - it's their BIOS which causes the problem.
HASSLE YOUR DELL TECH SUPPORT!

Essentially, the BIOS only pre-allocates 892KB of video mem at boot time.
the i810 module use the BIOS to programme it's video modes, and since you
haven't got enough memory, you can't get a decent res.

Intel has released a fix for this, but dell needs to implement it in their
BIOS flash updates.  There is a patch to get things working here

http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html

cheers
chris
|  TELESCOPE, n.                                                        |
|  A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the         |
|  telephone to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a   |
|  multitude of needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell  |
|  summoning us to the sacrifice.                                       |
|                 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"           |